We're StoryPrompt ('we', 'our', 'us').
The privacy of your data is a big deal to us. In this policy, we lay out: what data we collect and why; how your data is handled; and your rights to your data.
If you have a question about something in this policy, or want to contact our Data Protection Officer (DPO), please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information we hold about you, and how we use it 👱
Information you give us through the StoryPrompt product
When you sign up for a StoryPrompt account, we collect the following information:
- Personal details like your name.
- Contact details like your email.
Information we collect if you get in touch
If you get in touch, we collect the following information so we can answer your questions.
- Your full name.
- The email address you use and the contents of your email (and any attachments).
- Public details from your social media profile (like Facebook, Instagram or Twitter) if you reach out to us via these platforms, and the contents of your messages or posts to us.
Information we collect or generate when you use our products
We collect information about how you use our products to help improve features. This includes:
- details about how you use our app like login dates, number of sessions, features you utilise.
Our reasons for using your information 📃
Data protection laws say we need to have a lawful basis for using your personal data. At least one of the following must apply: contractual or legal duty, legitimate interest, public interest, vital individual interest or consent. In this section we explain which one we rely on to use your data in a certain way.
We need to use your data for a contract we have with you, or to enter into a contract with you.
We use details about you to:
- give you access to the services we provide
- send you messages about your account if you get in touch, or we need to tell you about something
- exercise our rights under contracts we’ve entered into with you
- investigate and resolve complaints and other issues.
When it’s in our ‘legitimate interest’.
We need to use your data for our legitimate interests, or those of a third party. This means using data in a way that you might expect us to, for a reason which is in your and/or our (or a third party’s) interest and which doesn't involve overriding your privacy rights.
Product development and marketing.
- tell you about products and services through our product or other channels, like social media companies, based on how you use our products and services and other information we hold about you. We may also exclude ads on this basis. We do this so we can make sure our marketing is useful. We don’t share any other identifying information about you with social media companies.
- track, analyse and improve the services we give you and other customers and how you respond to ads we show. We may ask for feedback if you’ve shown interest in a product feature. We do this so that we can make our products better and understand how to market them.
- use the personal information you share with us and data you create from using the product to suggest features you’d find useful.
Companies that give services to us.
- share your information with companies so they can help us provide our services (see ‘Who we share your data with’ below).
We’ll ask for your consent to:
- record any issues you want us to know about so we understand how to best support you.
- tell you about our products and services by email if we think they’re of interest to you.
Who we share your data with 🌥
Companies that give services to us.
Here we mean companies that help us provide services you use, and need to process details about you for this reason. We share as little information as we can and encrypt and/or make it impossible for you to be identified by the recipient where possible (for instance by using a User ID rather than your name).
- cloud computing power and storage providers like Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud
- our analytics platform provider, Google Analytics
- companies that help us with marketing (we won’t share identifiable personal data with third parties)
- software companies that we use for processing and storing email communications with you like Google Mail and Intercom
How long we keep your information 📁
We keep most of your data as long as you’re using StoryPrompt, and for 6 months after that in case you decide to return to us and need access to any of this data.
Your rights 💖
You have a right to:
- access the personal data we hold about you, or to get a copy of it
- ask for a copy of your personal data in a portable (machine-readable) format or make us send it to someone else
- make us correct inaccurate data
- ask us to delete, 'block' or suppress your data, though for legal reasons we might not always be able to do it
- say no to us using your data for direct marketing and in certain other ‘legitimate interest’ circumstances
- withdraw any consent you’ve given us
To do any of these things, please contact us through the app or by emailing email@example.com.
Where we store or send your data 🔒
We may transfer and store the data we collect from you to organisations outside the UK and the European Economic Area (‘EEA’). When we do this, we make sure that your data is protected and that:
- the European Commission says the country or organisation has adequate data protection, or
- we’ve agreed standard data protection clauses approved by the European Commission with the organisation.
If you’d like a copy of the relevant data protection clauses, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to make a complaint 😐
If you have a complaint about how we use your personal information, please send an email to email@example.com and we’ll do our best to fix the problem. You can also reach our Data Protection Officer in these ways.
If you’re still not happy, you can refer your complaint to the UK’s supervisory authority: the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). For more details, you can visit their website at ico.org.uk.